Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Dreaded Day

Today was the dreaded day that I have not been looking forward to for some time. Keith started school today-actually today was the first day of orientation, but it might as well been his first day back. He left the house at 7am and got home at 7pm. What a fun day for me. I don't know if the boys sensed my lack of spirit in this new chapter of our lives, but I think they must have because today was H-E-double hockey sticks!!! You know those days where everything goes wrong and you feel lower than dirt-yes, that would be my day. Now usually I am one to accept and buck up to things/life but having already experienced 4 years of being a single mom, I don't know if you can even imagine that I would want to start that phase again for the next 2 years. I think most of my bad day was with my oldest son-who will remain nameless-and the boy that he is, and how much he drives me literally to my limits where I have to give myself a time out so something bad does not happen. Hopefully when school starts next week life will be better for half of the day-that being the morning half. I am almost to the point of paying the outrageous price to have him go full day. --I think I just psyched myself out to much and knew how much I wasn't going to enjoy these next years. -A lady in my ward growing up once told me that some of the best years of her life were when her husband was in medical school. Whatever she was on back then I need to get me some of that!!! --Now, don't get me wrong I'm excited for Keith and the career he has chosen and wants to pursue, and I am 100% supportive, but getting there feels like treading water in the arctic-not so fun! Hopefully tomorrow will be better, because if not I'm going to have to make some serious changes-and I don't even know what they would be.

6 comments:

jeavin blog said...

I know how you feel lady! It's so hard after they've been home for so long, the transition is tough and yes, I know the 12 hour days, hopefully it will get better soon. Devin thinks that by the end of the year (Dec) that things will calm down because he'll have all his cases going and things will be more familiar. I sure hope so, and to top it all off, I'm pregnant again and not feeling well. I guess we didn't plan it as well as we thought. Anyway, a word of hope... at least you guys only have 2 years! It could be worse. Good luck and know that we're going through the same things.

Erica said...

Seriously, I'm sorry but I'm just sitting here laughing at your post. Not because I think it's funny but because I feel your pain and there isn't a darn thing that we can do about it. I guess it's better to laugh than cry. Cody's days have been just as long. A 13-15 hour day is not uncommon for him. Also, he's on call for a week a month and he can't be farther away from the hospital than 15 minutes. Which makes for a really boring weekend. I'm so sorry! I only have 2 boys and you have 4. I'm barely surviving most days and you have twice the work. I am so sorry. I just hope that you have some good friends living around you to keep you sane. Thank the heavens for school starting, right?!

Kim said...

Hey Tristen, sorry to hear about your bad day. Yes what to say about school...hmmm, yes it stinks!!!!Hopefully there is a time and a season for everything (some seasons are definately longer than others) but hopefully the pay off is well worth the sacrifice. It stinks getting back into the routine of single mom...I hear ya there, but do whatever you need to do to make it. Take some time out for you and don't neglect your own needs at times. If mommy is happy then your kids will be happier. Well I'm glad you are able to vent, take one day at a time and hopefully the lord will give you the strength to endure. Love ya chica, KIM

Melinda McBride said...

AMEN! I can understand how you feel, but obviously you've got it a lot worse with Keith's schedule. At least Ryan can take vacation time. If I had a nickel for every day I wanted to go praying mantis on my kids, I'd be rich. Or at least have SEVERAL dollars. :)

Kristy Graff said...

oh, i'm so sorry! i feel your pain-believe me! we'll have to get together lots when i get back to keep eachother sain!

Whitney said...

whatever . . like kade even knows how to be bad :) i think it must have been a bad dream!! (not funny whitney!) haha well when he gets to be that b-a-d put him on a plane to b-f-e (ct) and i'll knock that knucklehead straight :) love you